Unable to import activity

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:17 AM
Edited Sep 7, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Hi I'm trying to import an activity which depend on several external dlls. When I try to import the activity an error message pops up telling me to check the logs. The log files give me the following details:

Message: BuildReferences(): Could not load assembly - C:\src\Code\bin\CatchmentYieldTools.dll

I have checked several times, the dll is in this directory.

In the composer trace there is a mention of 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' 

When I try to import the activity without this activity, the import screen progresses further but gives a filenotfound exception in the logs  which is what I'd expect to happen.

Is there any work around to this issue?

Edit:

I've rolled back to Trident 1.0 and the activity imports correctly. I should also note that the dll in question is a .NET 3.5 dll.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Hi,

Problem over here could be because of two reasons.

First, import is not able to find all the external dll’s related to the primary activity assembly.
Solution:-
As part of importing the activities/workflow, you need to explicitly add the external dll(s) as references in import dialog.

To add those external dll(s) as references while importing an activity/workflow, refer the steps below:-

1. In import dialog, if the dependencies of the selected dll(s) is not shown. Then click on “Show Dependencies” button to show all dependencies.  (You can find the button in the right hand bottom corner of the import dialog.)
  2. Select the primary activity dll.
  3. If the external dll is not listed in its dependencies list, then click on “Add” button just below the dependencies list.
  4. Then in the file selection dialog, select the external dll which has to be added as the reference.
  5. Repeat step 4 for all the external dll references.
  6. Then click on “Import” button.

Second, external dll is built using a different platform. i.e. system which you are importing activities might be 64 bit and the dll is built under 32 bit platform.
Solution:-
Rebuild all the dll(s) in the same platform and try re-importing the activities with the new set of dll(s).

Please let us know if this helped answer your question.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:14 AM

The issue I'm having doesn't allow me to select the show dependencies, it crashes prior to this. The process I got through is as follows:

1. Open import dialog in Trident
  2. Click Browse and open dll
  3. An error is thrown telling me to look at the log file before focus is given back to main import screen.

I'm unable to manually add the dependencies because of this since it fails before I can have a chance to. I'll post some screen shots to show what I mean later today.

Thanks,

David

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Hi David,

One quick question, Is the assemblies built in the same platform (i.e. 32/64 bit) as the machine where you’re importing the dll’s?
If it is different, then can you please build the dll’s in the same platform and then try importing?

If above solution does not solve your problem, it will be great if you can share the code and dll’s which you are using for import by sending them to tridentp@microsoft.com. Can you also explain the sample (activity) which you’re trying to import in the mail.

Once we receive the sample, we will try to repro the scenario in our local environment and then get back to you with more details.

Please let us know if you need any other information.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Hi,

Can you please let us know if our reply answered you queries?

Thanks,
Trident Support Team.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:47 AM

Hi sorry for the late reply,

the dll's were built on the same architecture (32bit) as the machine I am using. I'll sent the dependency dlls and code to you tomorrow

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Hi,

We have not received the dependency dll's. Can you please send it to tridentp@microsoft.com and cc to v-vichan@microsoft.com ?

Please let us know if you need any other information.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Hi,

We have not heard back from you for a long time and we hope this means your question has been answered. We are marking the thread as closed.

Please let us know in case you have any further questions/concerns.

Regards,
Trident Support Team