TRIZ

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Hello, I'm doing an honours project in geophysics. The goal of my project is to transfer our current magnetotelluric processing methodology from the desktop computer to a HPC cluster using Trident. 

At this stage I'm just trying to familiarise myself with how Trident works. I have downloaded all of the samples to date.

My current problem involves trying to use an ASCII text file as an input for the workflow. For example, I can use and understand, the if-else sample fine but what I would like to do is reference a text file as an input, that contains thousands of time series values as a column. Currently the input is the integer random number generator.  If I could do that much then to use all of the other conditions becomes trivial.

My question is can I do this with the activities provided? i've tried a number of different things but seem to get now where.

Thanks 

Triz

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:28 AM

Hi Triz,

<<can I do this with the activities provided?>>
No. Current activities released with Trident v1.2.1 do not have any activity which provides the functionality you have explained. For achieving this functionality you will need to create a custom activity for Trident. For creating the custom activity please refer the Activity programming guide document section of the CodePlex site.

In between you can use one of the default activities named “File Input”. This activity can be found under the category “Data”. This activity reads the input file and outputs the stream object of the file.
You will then need to create a custom activity which takes the stream object as input. Then using the stream object you can read the file as necessary and then achieve the functionality you want.

Also, you can look into the following samples which have similar functionality.

• Replicator Sample.
  • Sample for showcasing Trident Data product activity.

Please let us know if this helped answer your question.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Sep 7, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Thank you for your response this was really helpful. I will try some of your suggestions.