Currently implemented features

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hello,

I'm a student doing research on scientific workflow management systems, and I have some questions whether the features I read about are already implemented or not. The document I refer to is http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/collaboration/tools/trident_workbench.doc

1. Recovery/Fault Tolerance: "Trident supports mechanisms to track a failed step in a workflow, suspend the action, allocate new resources, and then restart the workflow". Is Fault Tolerance currently implemented?

2. Control flow vs. Data flow: "Trident is designed to support data-flow centric analysis." Is it right? In Trident Composer you can define the control flow, and connect properties of activities to model the data flow. But does Trident really support data flow centric analysis?

Thanks, Alex

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Hi,

We are working on this to get the details required. We will get back to you asap.

Please let us know if you have any concerns/issues.

Thanks,
Trident Support Team.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM
Edited Aug 18, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Hi Alex,

Please find the answers to your questions.

1.       Recovery/Fault tolerance is not supported in the current version of Trident(v1.2.1) which is released in codeplex. We are in the process of analyzing this requirement and will get back to you once we have an update.

2.       Support for data flow centric analysis in Trident:

As part of this requirement, we have a feature that has been implemented called Provenance. This feature collects the data related to the execution of the workflow.

Data which is captured in this feature are:

a.       Execution time of each activity.

b.       Real time Input/outputs of each activity.

c.        Data products created in each activity.

Once the workflow execution is completed, you can access these provenance data from management studio using the following steps.

a.       Open management studio

b.       Click on completed workflows :- This is will show all the completed/aborted workflows.

c.        Select the workflow which you need to get the details of the execution.

d.       Then click on “Provenance” button. (you can find the button in the toolbar above the results list or right click on the item which you need get the provenance and then click provenance.)

Please let us know if this answered your questions.

Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM
Thanks a lot, this answered my questions :)