BRAVO !!! Incredible work !

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hello,

Just a quick message to let you know that I am really happy to have discovered your incredible application !
I am working in the pharmaceutical industry and I am starting a pilot to extract data, apply some transformation on it, and display/write down the result.
I was thinking about using WF as a basis for that and just discovered your project by looking yesterday at the video "WF 4.0: A First Look" by Kenny Wolf !

After a very quick review it seems it will save me A LOT of headaches to get a MUCH BETTER result that what I would have wrote myself !

As I am not an professional developper and I am still learning a lot about .NET frameworks, some details are not clear for me:

- Kenny Wolf video is about WF 4
   I have seen in the Developper's Guide that custom activities should inherits from System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.
   For me that is WF 3 specific, not WF 4.
   I am right ?

- If yes, Is there any on going effort to port Trident for WF 4 ?
   As most of the added value to my end user will come from custom activities directly tied to their business, I do not want to develop with WF 3 and then have to rewrite evrything to WF 4 later on !

- Trident seems to use its own runtime.
   Any way to use AppFabric to host workflows ?

- In the documentation, I have found references to Silverlight client.
    Where is it ? How can I install it ?

Now just some more general questions:

- Is there any already existing activities to invoke a SSIS package
    - same question for SSRS

As it is my very first post on codeplex, is it the right place to ask these questions, or should I use the forum ?

Best regards

Etienne Klein

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Hi Etienne Klein,

We are looking into your question. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you have any further questions/issues.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Hi Etienne Klein,  

Thank you for showing interest in Trident.  
Please find below answers to your questions. 

<<- Kenny Wolf video is about WF 4
   I have seen in the Developper's Guide that custom activities should inherits from System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.
   For me that is WF 3 specific, not WF 4.
   I am right ?>>

Correct , Trident is WF3 specific.

<<  - If yes, Is there any on going effort to port Trident for WF 4 ? >>
No. As of today we are not migrating Trident for WF4.

But as part of the Trident v1.2.1 release we have built Trident code under .net framework 4.0. This was done to make sure we can use the new features of .net framework 4.0. 

<<   - Trident seems to use its own runtime.
   Any way to use AppFabric to host workflows ?>>

Yes. Trident is designed in such a way that you can create your own runtime for hosting workflows.  

<<  - In the documentation, I have found references to Silverlight client.
    Where is it ? How can I install it ?>>

You can refer Trident installation Document on how-to install Trident Silverlight Client. Also you can refer Silverlight Troubleshooting document if there are any issues while executing the Silverlight client. 

<< - Is there any already existing activities to invoke a SSIS package
    - same question for SSRS >>

No. As part of Trident installer, we don’t have any activities for invoking SSIS package/ SSRS. However you can create your own custom activities for the requirements and use it in Trident. For more information on how-to create and import custom activities please refer Trident programming Guide. 

Let us know if you have any further questions/issues.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Hi,

Can you please let us know if our response helped in answering your questions?

Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Hi,

We have not heard back from you for a long time and we hope this means your question has been answered. We are marking the thread as closed.

Please let us know in case you have any further questions/concerns.

Regards,
Trident Support Team