Visual Studio Question

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Hello,

I have visual studio 2010 and am trying to implement a custom activity in Trident. I have little programming experience and have been following the instructions in the programming guide. However, the programming guide has been written for visual studio 2008 and as far as I can tell does not translate well for using visual studio 2010.

My question is can I/should I use visual studio 2008, seeing as the system requirements for Trident 1.2.1 state that visual studio 2010 is required.

Thanks

Sep 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Hi Triz,

It is nice to hear from you again. Please find the answers for your questions. 

<<can I/should I use visual studio 2008, seeing as the system requirements for Trident 1.2.1 state that visual studio 2010 is required.>>
No. Visual studio 2010 is the pre-requisite for Trident v1.2.1.

<<However, the programming guide has been written for visual studio 2008 and as far as I can tell does not translate well for using visual studio 2010>>
Trident v1.2.1 is still based on the .net framework 3.5 workflow namespaces. This is done because of the following reasons:

• As part of the .net framework 4.0 release, Workflow foundation has been redesigned. So to support the backward compatibility with WF 3.5, the WF namespaces are retained as is.
  •  To make sure the user can use the latest functionality of .net framework 4.0, we have rebuilt Trident code in .net framework 4.0. But we did not migrate to .net framework 4.0. This means that the custom activities which are developed for Trident 1.2.1 is still using the WF 3.5 namespaces. 

You can build the custom activities in VS2010 as you were doing in VS2008. But we need to make sure that the target framework is .net framework 4.0.

Please note that we are doing the feasibility analysis on how to move the Trident code to .net framework 4.0. 

Hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to let us know your questions/clarifications.
Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Hi,

Can you please let us know if the answer solves your question?

Thanks,
Trident Support Team

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Hello,

Yes, your answer did solve my problems. Thank you for response it was most appreciated.

Triz